The Academic English programme (Brunel Language Centre) provides free English Language support to all current Brunel University students who have English as a second language.
Academic English Courses
Courses in Terms 1 and 2 (typically 1 hour a week for 5 weeks) are designed to help you develop academic language skills that are needed for success on a degree programme. They include:
- Academic Writing
- English for Research Writing (Doctoral Researchers only)
- Academic Grammar
- Academic Reading
- Listening to Fast Speech
- Academic Discussion Skills
To find out more about these courses and to register, please (scroll down to Class Listings).
One-to-one Academic English Consultations (online, MS Teams)
You can get help with assignments (including presentations), academic papers and job applications via one-to-one consultations. These friendly and supportive 30-minute consultations are available during the following periods:
- 20 September 2023 to 18 December 2023
- 5 January 2024 to 22 March 2024
- 7 April 2024 to 30 August 2024
You’ll be able to discuss:
- language issues that cause difficulty for the reader
- academic style
- using academic sources appropriately (including referencing)
- being critical
- clear speech (including pronunciation).
Please note this is not a proof-reading service. It is against University policy for us to correct all language errors.
Your work should be emailed to the consultant one working day in advance so the consultant has enough time to prepare. For each half-hour appointment, a consultant spends up to 30 minutes on preparation. This means that typically 1000 words can be discussed in a session. If you send a document of more than 1000 words, please state which area in particular you want advice on.
Bookings for a particular week will be available at 4:00 pm on the Friday before that week.
. Use your standard Brunel username and password to log in, and on the form:
1) use your Brunel University email address
2) give your full name as shown on your University email account.
You will receive the MS Teams link in the confirmation email, and your consultant will send you the Zoom invite with the Zoom link.